American Distilling Institute and Spirit of Hven Distillery are proud to announce a European Union based two day craft distilling event!
Spirit of Hven is a world class distillery (https://www.hven.com/en/) which manufactures a wide range of spirits with pot, Coffey, column and vacuum distillation. Their facility located on the island of Hven includes a full analytical QC lab with GC/Mass Spec analysis of spirits, conference center, hotel, and restaurant.
Two days of interactive distilling education are being offered in Recipe Design, Pot Still Whiskey, Column Distillation Gin/Vodka, QC Analysis, Packaging Design, Compliance, and Chemical Engineering
The main instructors are Henric Molin and Scott Allen.
Additional Instructors include: Robert Cassell of New Liberty and Connacht Whiskey, Maryse Bolzon of Lallemand, Dr Robert Piggott, and Stefano Zambolin of Bruni Glass.
The groups could be divided into two groups during some parts of the days.
Click here to read the Distiller Magazine profile on Spirit of Hven.
Arrivals, September 22nd – Welcome Buffet Dinner
- Check in starts at 2:15 pm
- Welcome and Distillery Tour, 5:30 pm
- Buffet Dinner, 7:15 pm
Day 1, September 23nd (Full day of Instruction)
- 7:30 am – 8:15am – Breakfast
- 8:30am – Introductions
- 8:45am – Panel Talk: “Different Distillation techniques, use the right equipment for the kind of spirit you are going to distill”, Scott Allen, Henric Molin
- 9:30am – Presentation: Selection of Yeast Maryse Bolzon/ Lallemand & Dr Robert Piggot
- 10:45am Presentation: “Compliance and chemical engineering”, Scott Allen
- 11:30am – Panel talk: “How to create a recipe from spirit you want to produce”, Henric Molin, Maryse Bolzon & Robert Cassell
- 12:15pm – 1:15pm – Lunch
- 1:15pm – 4:45pm Group Hands-on sessions:
Choose between 1) Pot Still Distilling Whiskey or 2) Column Distilling Gin & Vodka
- 5:00pm – Regroup and discussions
- 5:30pm – Free time
- 6:30pm – Cocktail Hour
- 7:00pm – 3 Course Dinner and networking
Day 2, September 24th (Full day of instruction)
- 7:30 am – 8:15am – Breakfast
- 8:30am – Presentation: “Health and Safety, We work with food stuff. Hygiene is a key word to get a good end-product”
- 9:45am – Presentation: “The differences between running a distillery in Europe and the US”, Robert Cassell
- 10:30am – Presentation: “Practical Knowledge: get an inside view of the lab work, Henrik Molin, Ulf Olsson
- 12:15pm – Presentation: “What to think about when designing your bottle, choosing labels, stores, closures and other considerations before you product reach the shelves in the stores”, Bruni Glass, Stefano Zambolin
- 1:00pm – Lunch
- 2:00pm – Presentation: “Production and Management of Yeast”, Maryse Bolzon/ Lallemand & Dr Robert Piggot
- 2:45pm – Panel – Q&A Session
- Diploma session
Immediately after the classes complete, hop on a plane from Copenhaguen to London for the Craft Distilling Expo (https://www.distillingexpo.com).
You are responsible for arranging your transportation. The below are suggestions to help you plan.
Ferries to Hven (22 September/Arrivals)
2:15pm Ferry from Landskrona, 2:45pm Arriving Bäckviken Port, 3:00pm Arriving with bus to Spirit of Hven Backafallsbyn
4:00pm Ferry from Landskrona 4:30 Arriving Bäckviken Port, 4:45pm Arriving with bus to Spirit of Hven Backafallsbyn
Ferries to Copenhagen; (24 September/Departures)
Bus arrives Bäckviken 4;30 pm, Ferry leaves Bäckviken 4:45 pm, Ferry arrives Landskrona which transports towards Kastrup / Copenhagen CPH 5:30 pm, , Arriving CPH 7 pm
Contact Spirit of Hven (https://www.hven.com/en/contact/contact-us) for more ferry arrivals and departures if your flights do not line do not line up with the times above.
Include 6 months of membership to ADI.
Early Bird Pricing – $800/person
After July 1st – $925/person