Judging – Judges – Sponsors – FAQ – Award Winners
In addition to the written feedback from our judges, award winners receive a number of additional benefits.
Placement Opportunity with Retail Partners
All Best of Class trophy winners will be given the chance to schedule meetings with senior sales executives from our retail partners Binny’s Beverage Depot, K&L Wine Merchants, and Total Wine & More to discuss goals and possible placement opportunities.
Binny’s Beverage Depot
Chicago family owned since 1948, Binny’s Beverage Depot is the Midwest’s largest wine, spirits and beer superstore with 44 locations throughout Illinois. Binny’s has been a long time supporter of craft spirits championed by long time ADI judge and Binny’s Spirits Buyer Brett Pontoni.
K&L Wine Merchants
Since 1976 K&L Wine Merchants offers the world’s finest wines and spirits, with great service and competitive prices. K&L operates three retail stores, in San Francisco, Redwood City, and Hollywood, California, and offers direct to consumer shipping throughout the state.
Total Wine & More
Total Wine & More is the nation’s leading retailer of wine, spirits and beer. Since 1991 Total Wine & More has grown from one location in Delaware to 214 superstores across 26 states.
ADI publicly announces the winners during our annual Craft Spirits Conference. In addition, ADI sends out a list of the winners to hundreds of our media contacts and the over 13,000 subscribers of our e-newsletter. We also promote Double Gold and Gold medal winners through our social media channels.
Consumer Tasting Events
ADI collaborates with Whiskies of the World, and the Independent Spirits Expo to promote winners from our competition. At these events ADI staffs the table, pours a select number of award winning spirits and informs consumers about the brands. As a result, participating spirits pay a fraction of the cost for a full table and save the expense of sending staff to the event. Due to the covid-19 pandemic these events are currently on hold.
Awards & Certificates
ADI provides physical awards, digital images and certificates for each winning spirit. There are no additional licensing fees or costs for for any of these materials. Additionally, any spirit that meets the requirements for our certification of craft spirits will also be provided with digital images of the appropriate certification. ADI does not sell bottle stickers however, winners have a free license to use the provided digital images to make their own stickers.
Excellence in Packaging Awards
- Best Backbar Packaging: A best of category award to one Gold Medal bottle that the packaging panel believed pops and does the best job of standing out from the crowd of other bottles on a backbar.
- Best Eco-Packaging: A best of category award to one Gold Medal Bottle that is produced using any number of eco-friendly methods. These may include bottles made using sustainable, recycled or lightweight materials, reusable packaging or other innovations.
- Best Retail Packaging: A best of category award to one Gold Medal bottle that has a label and bottle design that most invites a customer to pick up the bottle off the shelf from all the others.
- Brand Identity Medals: Award to a spirit company that in addition to superior execution in individual spirits packaging, has a harmony of design across multiple products that also distinguishes individual spirits within the lineup.
- Packaging Medals: Award for spirit packaging that has shows overall originality, creativity, graphic design, integration of bottle design to label style, aesthetic appeal, and handleability.