Distiller magazine welcomes queries for articles to be assigned for publication in our print magazine or on our online platform.
Distiller covers the emerging art and business of craft distillation in the United States and around the world. Subjects can include distillery profiles; new industry trends; deep dives into particular aspects of production, business, sustainability, or the science of distillation; and other areas relevant to craft distilleries.
Send queries to firstname.lastname@example.org, and please include links to a recent writing sample or two. Please also include a brief bio of yourself with queries.
Rates, Word Counts
Topical features, 1,500–2,000 words. (Longer pieces occasionally assigned.) Published 3x annually (Summer, Fall, Winter). $500, plus $75 per original image (up to 4).
Single-topic, narrow-focus blog-style articles, 300–500 words, $100, plus $25 per original image (up to 2).
- Please do not send article copy pasted into the body of an email.
- Preferred formats include Word documents, rich text, text files (.doc, .docx, .rtf, .txt) or equivalent.
- No PDF files.
- Email attachments, Dropbox links or a similar delivery method ok.
Text formatting (preferred)
- Times New Roman 12 pt, ragged right, line spacing 1.5.
- No formatted spacing above or below paragraphs. Use line breaks to separate.
- Use first-line indentation settings instead of tab spacing.
- No hyperlinked text; URLs should be pasted as unlinked text where necessary.
- Submitted images must be included as separate files (i.e., not embedded in the text file).
- A selection of portrait and landscape orientations preferred for print.
- All images — including all photographs, graphs, illustrations, and tables submitted as images — must be high-resolution .png or .jpg files.
- Images should be your own original work, or you must have written permission from the copyright holder to reproduce.
- Please include caption information with each image — names, locations, subject matter, name of photographer etc.
Final wording of headlines and titles is up to the discretion of the editors. Only original work not published or simultaneously submitted elsewhere will be accepted for publication. ADI retains exclusive first rights to publish accepted articles and their associated images until publication; if an accepted article is not published, all rights are retained until explicitly released back to the author. Articles accepted for a particular issue may be moved to a subsequent issue at the editor’s discretion or as space and timing may dictate.