Synchronous Virtual Workshop
Instructor: Nancy Fraley, Nosing Services
- While we are unable to meet at Ironroot Republic Distillery, where we have been kindly hosted for several years, due to COVID risks to our attendees, staff and hosts, we have transformed this sought-after workshop into a in-person virtual format. Please read below for the new format details. We look forward to seeing you online in December!
Monday December 7 to Wednesday December 9, 2020 – 9am PST
Monday December 14 to Wednesday December 16, 2020 – 9am PST
Prior to class: Self-Led Studies (November) – You will be provided with course material and videos to review on your own 4 weeks before the start of the class as well as the Zoom meeting information.
Week 1 (Monday 12/7 to Wednesday 12/8). The class examines the traditional philosophies and methods of blending whiskey, rum, and brandy, as well as “crossover” techniques in blending, such as borrowing from one tradition to the other to create something new. We will start by reviewing the topics from the self-led sessions. Other topics will include how the barrel room or warehouse can be used as a tool to achieve certain aromatic profiles, wood policy and cask management, the effects of entry proof, water reduction or “proofing” theories, the use of traditional blending tools such as boisé, laboratory equipment, etc
We will also discuss the practical applications of blending, selecting and balancing the proper components for the blend to achieve a targeted spirit profile, and the impact on flavor of spirit and wood. Finally, we will look at fractional methods of blending.
Week 2 (Monday 12/14 to Wednesday 12/16) will be a “sensory” day devoted to putting the previous day’s theories to the test with nosing and tasting analysis of barrel samples, finished products, etc. We will learn what to look for when creating a blend when analyzing barrel samples. There will be a brief lecture on cellar management, the function and anatomy of the barrel, and the physiology of oak.
$2,400 fee (early bird $2,100 prior to October 15) includes:
- All class material
- Specifically curated nosing and tasting kit
- Access to pre-recorded videos for the self-led portion
- Access to recorded videos after the class for review at your leisure for a year
- Ability to bring a total of 2 attendees per location during the zoom calls.
MUST REGISTER BY NOVEMBER 1 to ensure that we can mail the kits to your location in time.
Click here to register.
For more information, contact:
- Anne-Sophie Whitehead – email@example.com